Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Sustainable sea food

June 2009. That's the first time I ever had freshly caught, local fish. A French neighbor popped over to the A Rocha France volunteer house one summer evening and left us standing with six little fish (nope, don't remember what kind) and instructions to wrap them in foil with a slice of lemon and a ring of onion. My eyes bugged out as I ate the tiny portion of white, succulent, flavorful meat. My summary - fresh seafood is amazing. I need to make friends with fisherpeople. Or learn what kinds of seafood I can order at restaurants without a liberal dose of guilt as a sidedish. Many popular species of fish and shrimp have been severely and unsustainabily overharvested. Beyond the obvious danger of declining numbers, we cannot fully grasp the impact such dramatic change in population has on ocean ecology.

Check out these sites and apps for guidance to make your next earth-shattering seafood meal both wise and delicious.
- Monterey Bay Aquarium's Seafood Watch App for Android and iPhone
- National Geographic's Seafood Substitutions
- Food & Water Watch's 2011 Smart Seafood Guide

No comments:

Post a Comment